Tuesday 24 January 2012

Frogs legs fit for a President

I bought some frozen frogs legs. One thing that you'll learn about me on this blog is that I'm a rebel. I'm just like James Dean or Marlon Brando. I wear a leather jacket and stick it to the squares. Well, I tend to stray from recipes when I'm cooking. Yeah! That's how I roll. Stick it to the man! Breadcrumbs? Screw you, BBC recipe website, I'm using Panko! Fight the power!

So I've been online and seen a couple of different ways to go about this, and I decided to not go strictly with any one recipe online. Rebellious, eh? I cut the legs in half (two legs stuck together still looks a bit too much like legs) and soak them in milk, which supposedly smooths out the flavour a bit and softens the meat. I then rolled them in flour (with some salt and pepper in there), shallow fried them and put a little pool of garlic butter at one end of the plate.

Incidentally, when I was googling frogs legs, I found this picture:











That's right, it's a picture of Barack Obama eating frogs legs.

I've thought about this image carefully, and decided that I'm pretty sure that Barrack Obama is awesome because:
(A) he's the first black president of America, which is a pretty big deal
(B) if I've got my facts right on this, he single-handedly took down Osama Bin Laden with a swift punch to the throat
(C) he eats frogs legs, which clearly helped him to achieve (A) and (B).
and (D) I think he's sending a clear message out to the French. He's saying "Hey, Frenchy! Next time we go terrorist hunting, you'd better help out or I'll eat your legs while doing a really mean GROWL face!"

Conclusion: Eating frogs legs makes you awesome like Barrack Obama.

So here's the finished thing:

Much to my surprise, my wife got stuck in and gave them a go. I thought that eating frogs might be a step too far for her, but she came away with the same conclusion as me. First time eating frogs, and the verdict is 'They were alright, they're ok, I suppose'. Predictably, in texture and flavour,they are a bit like chicken, and a bit like fish.

I think I went a bit too heavy on the salt that I added to the flour, but they were ok and nothing more. I'd be interested to try them done by a 'proper chef' in a restaurant, and I'd certainly like to try them done as part of an Asian recipe (Frogs legs are popular in places like Vietnam and China).


On a serious note, there are some that say it's really bad to eat frog legs. In the name of balance, I'll leave this link to an article from The Guardian and let you make up your own mind.

2 comments:

  1. You should definitely go Vietnamese. Panée they're almost wasted - you might as well just have fried chicken. Stir fried with ginger, garlic, chilli and lemon grass and they're a sticky joy.

    And you get to shout "you don't know man, you weren't there" to them just before you pop 'em in your maw.

    ReplyDelete